Giornate degli Autori
19th edition - Venice, 30 August - 10 September, 2022
on the occasion of the 79. Mostra Internazionale d'Arte Cinematografica
The nineteenth edition of Giornate degli Autori, promoted by ANAC (The National Association of Filmmakers) and by the authors of Associazione 100autori, will take place in September 2022, during the 79. Mostra Internazionale d'Arte Cinematografica di Venezia.
Article 2. Eligible films
With the exception of special cases, all feature films submitted to Giornate degli Autori must fulfill the following requirements:
1) only features and documentaries longer than 60 minutes are eligible;
2) films must have been produced after September 30, 2021;
3) if selected, films must be screened during the festival in DCP;
4) films already theatrically released or distributed in home video or broadcasted on television or streamed on Internet are not
5) films presented, out of their country of origin, to any International festival or major film event (except in the context of only one film market), are not eligible. Priority will be given to films in absolute world premiere;
6) films that have been already submitted with negative result to the selection of the 2021 edition are not eligible;
7) European films must be World Premieres.
Article 3. Submissions
- Submissions are free of charge.
- Deadline for submissions is Friday, June 17th 2022.
- A filled Entry Form must accompany each submitted film. Please CLICK HERE to open it.
- A link for streaming/download, for the exclusive use of the selection committee.
- For the pre-selection, subtitles in English or Italian are compulsory, also for movies in O.V. English.
- On the pro-forma invoice required for shipments originating out of the European Union, please mention: "For cultural purpose only - Not for commercial use".
- Shipments by courier are entirely at sender's charge.
- For pre-selection, unfinished copies of films can be submitted, as long as they are final cuts. What is still missing must be clearly stated (i.e.: temporary score, no color correction, no sound mix, etc.) via e-mail, as well as in the Entry Form.
Giornate degli Autori won't consider further versions of the same film. The Selection Committee could ask for a possible new version of the film, if this has been included in a short-list of candidates.
Article 4. DCP for pre-selection
In case of a film submitted to pre-selection in DCP, shipments, insurance and duty fees are all at submitter's charge for both the incoming and return shipments. Address for the delivery of DCP must be agreed with Giornate degli Autori before the shipment.
Article 5. Selection and programming
Films presented to Giornate degli Autori are chosen by the Artistic Director, under the responsibility of the Director, both appointed by the Association Giornate degli Autori's board. The Director is the sole responsible of the calendar and the programming.
Article 6. Subtitles
6.1 All films selected by Giornate degli Autori must be presented in Venice in the original version with Italian subtitles on the print (in English for Italian films). This subbing is borne by the producers.
6.2 Producers agree to provide to Giornate degli Autori - within August 5th - the spotting list and a screener of the film, required for the electronic subtitling in English. This subtitling is at Giornate degli Autori charge and it is made exclusively for the Giornate degli Autori film presentation.
Article 7. Prints of selected films
With the exception of special cases, films are screened at Giornate degli Autori in DCP only, in perfect technical conditions. A quality check must be done before the delivery to Venice.
7.1 Shipping expenses
All transport costs to and from the Festival (including transport costs from Venice airport to Venice Lido and custom charges for films sent from outside the European Union), are to be borne by the participants.
7.2 Shipping Insurance
All insurance costs covering the transport of films copies to and from the Festival are to be borne by those presenting the films.
The organizers will provide an "all risks" insurance coverage for the DCP for the entire period. The insurance value of a film may not exceed the average laboratory cost for a standard DCP. Furthermore, all necessary measures will be taken to safeguard the author's copyright protection.
Article 8. Selected films
Producers must provide for each selected film the materials required for the press conference, the official catalogue and the websites of Giornate degli Autori and of La Biennale, as well as for press and TV journalists.
In particular the following must be sent not later than July, 15th:
- film trailer or clips;
- a minimum of 5 high resolution stills of the film;
- a minimum of 1 high resolution photo of the director;
- synopsis of the film;
- bio/CV of the director;
- director's note;
All materials provided will remain available on the Giornate degli Autori web site with no time limitation and on the digital press boxes of Biennale. We strongly suggest to contact the Press Office of the Mostra (email@example.com) regarding the distribution of promotional materials for the press accredited.
Article 9. Dates, times and locations of the screenings
The program of Giornate degli Autori will be communicated to participants in August 2022. Dates, times and locations of the screenings may be changed by Giornate degli Autori without limitation, upon previous communication to the people concerned.
A press screening of selected films can be organized prior to the festival. No opposition by the rights owner is possible.
Article 10. Media Partners and Photocall
The directors of the selected films undertake to be interviewed during the festival by all the Media Partners of Giornate degli Autori. In addition, they accept to attend an official photocall comprising both the director and the cast of the film. A detailded schedule of these activities will be communicated before the beginning of the festival.
Article 11. Awards
The Official Awards recognized by the Giornate degli Autori are:
* the "GdA Director's Award", given by the Official Jury of Giornate degli Autori, headed by a filmmaker and composed by an audience selected in agreement with the Lux Audience Award of the European Parliament, Europa Cinemas and Cineuropa. The award is accompanied by a cash prize of € 20,000, to be split equally between the filmmaker and the film's international distributor, who agrees to use the amount received for the international promotion of the film.
* the "People's Choice Award" for the films of the Official Selection.
* the "Label Europa Cinemas", only for films produced and co-produced in Europe. The Label was created by a network of high-calibre European exhibitors, with the support of the EU's MEDIA Programme. It consists of a financial contribution towards distribution and promotion of the film as well as a guarantee for the winning film that it will be shown in the cinemas belonging to the network.
* All first feature films presented at Giornate degli Autori are eligible for the "Luigi De Laurentiis" Award (Lion of the Future), organized and promoted by the Mostra.
* All the films participating to the Giornate are also in competition for the parallel awards, with a ceremony due to take place on the last day of the Festival.
Article 12. Additional Screenings
In addition to the screenings scheduled during the festival as part of the Venice Film Festival, the selected films may also be screened during the following events: "Esterno Notte", organized by the City of Venice and Circuito Cinema Venezia & Mestre, "Venezia a Roma" and "Panoramiche Milanesi", the latter two organized by Agis-Anec in collaboration with the Mostra, and this without exception.
It is the producer's duty to inform the Italian entitled person, if he is not himself, of the compulsory and free nature of these repetitions, since they fall within the number granted to Festivals by the FIAPF regulations. Any rental costs may be requested only for screenings exceeding the five agreed by the FIAPF.
Selected films can also be included for a limited time in an online platform dedicated to the festival, or be invited to hold repetition screenings elsewhere in Italy or abroad, in agreement with the right owners.
Article 13. Promotion
The producer of each film selected at Giornate degli Autori commits to include the logo of Giornate degli Autori in all promotional materials accompanying the commercial release of his film in any country (posters, trailers, theatrical prints, DVD, Blu-ray, streaming video, etc.). Giornate degli Autori logo can be request sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Article 14. Responsibilities of the organizers
Giornate degli Autori will use the information provided on the entry forms according to Reg. 2016/679/UE.
Giornate degli Autori declines any responsibility for submissions not received.
The Association Giornate degli Autori has the right to settle any and all cases not mentioned in the present regulations. It has the right to suspend, cancel or postpone the event or to modify the regulations, at any time, according to the requirements of its exploitation. No compensation of any kind can be made to the participants.
Participation to Giornate degli Autori implies the full acceptance of the aforementioned regulations.
These regulations and entry form are only valid for Giornate degli Autori selection.
Selections for other sections of the Mostra are processed by distinct entities:
- Venezia 79, Orizzonti: Mostra Internazionale d'Arte Cinematografica (www.labiennale.org)
- Settimana Internazionale della Critica (www.sicvenezia.it): Sindacato Nazionale Critici Cinematografici Italiani (www.sncci.it)